Sunday, March 13, 2011

How have cameras and video conferencing capabilities in cell phones affected the way we communicate today? How have they affected education (K-12 and Higher Education)? How have they affected Corporate America?

Cellphone users now have the ability to video conference through their phones, if their phones are equipped with the right technology (2 cameras and software for video conferencing).  However, I don't know anyone who actually uses this feature.  Personally, I think I'd be more comfortable video conferencing on a computer than I would be on my phone, mostly because I'm moving around when I'm on my phone.  I don't know how much video conferencing has affected education because I am not a teacher and I have not seen the technology used.  However, like I mentioned in one of the discussion board posts today, I think that it has a place in the classroom when a lecturer or a guest cannot physically be in the classroom.  It is certainly applicable in business as businesses are often spread out over distances and individuals need to be able to communicate and face to face communication is often more productive.  It also saves on travel costs as 10 people don' t have to fly to one location to have a meeting anymore.  They can simply hook up a camera and some speakers and be ready to go.

1 comment: